Saturday, November 15, 2014

ALL SOULS DAY - Commemoration of the Faithful Departed


I recall not too long ago a priest I knew in England died. I remember that I was not too cut up about it, but I prayed the usual Lord have mercy on him, when I heard of his passing. And then on reflection I recalled that for various reasons he was a priest, I have to be honest and say, I didn’t particularly like. I could list off his faults in my mind and be resentful about some of the insensitive things he said and did to me. I was angry and unforgiving about some of his remarks which I replayed in my mind over and over.

But then I thought ‘hold on a second, what way is that to act and think about someone? Especially someone who, after all, suffered a terminal illness?’ All I could remember were his faults and not his good points, how he remained a faithful priest and kept and taught the Catholic faith in its fullness without compromise. All I could focus on were his quirks and odd sense of humour at which I took offence.

I slowly came to realise that I had to forgive him, and seek forgiveness and peace in the process for holding on to my grudges.

Perhaps in some way I cannot explain, my lack of forgiveness was holding him back too. I was not reconciled with God or him, so long as I had this anger and resentment in my heart about him. I don’t want to exaggerate – I wasn’t losing sleep over it, but I had to let it go. And so I forgave him and prayed for him and I pray that he is in heaven.

Maybe there is something in that for all of us as we remember all the faithful departed. Are there people you and I need to forgive, people who have died? 

We believe in the communion of saints that there is a spiritual bond between the saints in heaven, the Holy Souls in Purgatory, and the living on earth.

And maybe, just maybe, I can learn to be more tolerant to the living as well, that perhaps God is calling me to purify myself now rather than later. I can lessen or avoid purgatory if I try to purify my mind and my intentions here, if I can learn to forgive now rather than later, if I can seek healing of memories and situations, and therefore I will be shown mercy if I want it in the sacrament of confession and may bring healing to the faithful departed if I am merciful - now.

Eternal rest grant unto all of them O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. May they rest in peace. AMEN

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home