Friday, January 2, 2015

Third Sunday of Advent


Who might you be?

Many people now trace their roots and programmes on TV are devoted to personalities discovering their roots. Often people define us, and who we are is partially influenced by background by other family members, a sister or brother, or parent. One religious sister commented after meeting my mother, ‘oh Father, your mother is beautiful; you don’t take after her at all.’ I wasn’t sure how to take that comment!

Some can often be defined or pigeon-holed by our mannerisms, accent or our way of speaking or appearance, or where we come from, who our connections are and who we might know from the same place. One lady recently remarked how do I look like my father did at my age but another lady said while she couldn’t see a resemblance I speak exactly as he did. People ask me who might you be, or who have I?

It gives people a kind of claim over us or reassures them, even though they don’t know us personally they make a judgment about us based on our relations, and give a common characteristic to people who share the same surname.

So we must know who we are and what our place in the order of things is – clarity in knowing what is justly expected of me and what is my duty, and not pretending – wasting energy of a mask  - to be someone and something I am not, because despite comparisons or expectations based on my background I have to be the unique person I am called to be, and not my brother or father or a strereotype.

John the Baptist gives people no such satisfaction – he will not be tied down by giving an easy answer to the six queries about his identity.

In contrast he says in so many words: you haven’t seen anything yet! Wait till you see who or what is coming! I am just getting you ready and will make way for him.

John knows his place. In fact the best three words I ever got as a priest which helps me in all sorts of sensitive and delicate situations is know your role. It helps me step up and it also helps me to step back when my job is done.

Who we are and what our place is in fact to place Jesus first and foremost in our lives, and give way to Him, and also to be defined by His coming into the world, like John. And like John, we must lead others and point the way to Jesus by our words and our example, our actions; that others may see by our conduct and our conversation that our Lord Jesus Christ makes all the difference and a total personal difference to our identity, to our calling, and the every meaning of every moment of our existence.

In that way we prepare a way for the Lord to enter others lives and hearts and make all the difference to them.

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home